[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Formal objection: Changing how the testing of potato works would invalidate the whole test. So please don't change it.

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 06:32:28AM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > Almost two weeks have passed since this test cycle began, so this would seem
> > to be the time to make that evaluation.
> > 
> > Since the archive move and all the related trouble related to it happened
> > exactly during the test cycle, the schedule is a bit disturbed (two
> > Incomings etc), but we shouldn't let these problems delay the release any
> > longer than it already has to be :)
> ahh :) the usual complaint on the length of time :) what you didn't realize 
> is what you are suggesting would delay the release -much- more than just 
> being patient :)

Actually, it won't, you misunderstood my intent. Read below...

> > How about this for the next plan: 
> How bout reality for this plan :) which is: the first test cycle's
> preparation phase has not ended yet :) When the boot floppies are ready
> and the images are ready, then we begin testing the whole dist.

All boot-floppies are ready (except ARM, but that's an opaque thing :), and
the CD images have been created. So, we can test potato installation and
upgrade with those.

> But you actually mean "when we freeze and test woody" by "the next plan". 
> Right? :)

Say what? I don't understand what you mean.

> > you accept uploads to potato until the new
> > boot-floppies get uploaded 
> OK, so you don't mean that. So I voice my formal objection to your plan.
> I will express some reasoning behind my objection in some paragraphs at the
> end of this.
> I think dark noticed that uploads are getting through... So please everyone:
> don't upload to potato without his ok during the freeze!

I don't think I understand. If we don't upload packages with fixes for
release-critical bugs, we don't get to release packages or the distro.
If we mail dark for each and every RC bugfix we make, that is just going
to slow him (and subsequently the release) down.

> > (if they do), and then start a new test cycle.
> > People can continue testing with the CD images from the previous test cycle
> > in the meantime (the differences aren't that important for testing
> > installations). What do you think?
> Some reasons I object formally to Josip Rodin's suggestion that dark loosen
> the freeze:

Loosen the freeze? I didn't say or want that. I didn't mean to say that
_all_ uploads should be accepted, I meant to say that the _neccessary_
uploads should be accepted. And _nothing_ is getting accepted right now.

> I like that dark has chosen to open them. I very much like that dark says
> -nothing- changes during a test cycle. You go changing that now, and you
> might as wel rewrite the whole plan.

I didn't say we should change anything during a test cycle - I said the test
cycle should end so that then we should change things :)

> Oh yes, you want to unfreeze too.

No, I don't, FFS! Was my post _that_ unreadable?

Oh well. Quisque suorum verborum optimus interpres.

> I hope that during the evaluation phase, it is -decided- what packages
> get in, and potato does -not- effectively become unfrozen

The release manager decides what packages get into frozen no matter what.
And he makes the judgement by processing the packages in Incoming, and
reading their changelog entries.

Currently, he isn't processing them at all, and that will change after the
test cycle ends. I was saying that the test cycle should end, and that a new
cycle should start after some amount of time.

, i.e., by dark taking Josip's suggestion, that dark would "accept uploads
> to potato" at any time during freeze that is in any way new features or
> code, or unimportant fixes; that is, not release critical.

Gah. You clearly misunderstood. I'm sorry for being unclear, but it seemed
obvious to me that `any upload to potato' MUST fix an RC bug.

Digital Electronic Being Intended for Assassination and Nullification

Reply to: