Re: Some more debconf queries

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > In these cases, we are faced with either modifying the conffile
> > directly or using a template.  If a template is used, the user must
> > run our own utility after editing the file -- not good.
>
> Yeah, I'm aware of the meta-problem.
>
> AFAIK, it doesn't have a neat solution short of requiring all packages
> to use a consistent coherent configuration mechanism which has a
> library interface, and interfacing debconf to that.

That's fine.  I don't need that.  I just need ANY solution :-)

Let's give a specific example, that of postfix that I mentioned.  What
specifically should I have debconf scripts do in that situation?
Parse the conffiles and edit them in place?  Use templates?  What?

I just need some solid answer here :-)