Re: Some more debconf queries

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 09:54:57AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:

> Let's give a specific example, that of postfix that I mentioned.  What
> specifically should I have debconf scripts do in that situation?
> Parse the conffiles and edit them in place?  Use templates?  What?

FWIW:

What I've done for Leafnode is to not make the configuration file a
conffile (the user *has* to edit it, so making it a conffile isn't a
good idea) and construct an initial configuration from a template.
The postinst then makes any future changes in place.

If there's already a configuration file then the debconf script tries
to overwrite the configuration stored in debconf with whatever's in the
configuration file.  I'm not sure if that'll play nicely with a
centralized database once Debconf does those, though.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/