Why wasn't the test cycle announced on debian-devel-announce?

When the first round of packages was removed a couple of months ago,
those of us who were caught by suprise were told, "You should have
been reading debian-devel-announce, 'cause that's where these things
are announced, dumbass".

Fine---it's specifically mentioned in the Developers Reference that
developers are expected to be on it.  I quit my whining, I subscribed,
and I've been reading.

Now it seems that the target has moved, because the only direct
announcement I can find of the test cycle being started was on
debian-release.  (Yes, DWN carried it, but I happened not to browse
that issue---nor, I will note, are developers expected to even be
subscribed to debian-devel, where it is posted, so unless it went to
debian-devel-announce, I don't see how that can constitute any sort of
official notice).

Can someone tell me exactly what I have to read to be assured of
knowing what's going on in the project and/or can our decision makers
perhaps make announcements pertinent to the project on the mailing
list that is ostensibly intended for that?

Mike.