Re: potato late, goals for woody (IMHO)

On 01-May-00, 12:11 (CDT), Hartmut Koptein <koptein@naffel.de> wrote:

> I know, some or many debian maintainers will not that debian is a mass
> product.  It should be for the elite, mainly for ourself. These people
> should think about atari and amiga. These computers were better then
> the wintel one. And, where are these companies now?

We are not a company that needs to have a market. We are a group of
people creating something that we care about. There are a certain number
of people who will prefer this to using a product like Redhat or Suse
to which they can make no real contribution. While it is certainly
possible for for that number to drop below viability, I'll not that the
Amiga still has a huge dedicated userbase, despite the difficulty in
dealing with a closed system. In other words, bringing up the Amiga is
an argument that the 'elite specialized product' model *can* work, given
that our goal is not to make a bunch of money.

(Not that I believe Debian is only for the elite enlightened few. Yes,
there are developer's who think that. There are also developers working
their asses off to make Debian accessible to their grandmothers. And
many more who are somewhere in between. Isn't that great?)

> For me as a linux trainer, it is a pain to be forced to use suse or redhat.

What's forcing you is not Debian's release cycles, but the fact that
Redhat and Suse have major marketing efforts that penetrate outside the
Linux community.

Steve