Re: apt-get should correctly process dependencies

> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:43:37 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca>
> To: digito@bigfoot.com
> Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: apt-get should correctly process dependencies
>

> On Wed, 19 Apr 100, Pedro Miguel Guerreiro wrote:
>
> > I've installed just the base files, and then I'm installing one by one, only
> > tha packages that I want, in no special order, as I'm needing them. When I
> > tryed to install linuxconf, apt-get give me the following:
>
> Try the -o debug::pkgproblemresolver=true option

Ok, when I try this option, the following came out:

-*-*-*-
turing:~# apt-get -o debug::pkgproblemresolver=true install linuxconf
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Starting
Starting 2
Package mailx has broken dep on smail
Package mailx has broken dep on mail-transport-agent
  Considering zmailer-ssl 0 as a solution to mailx 8
  Holding Back mailx rather than change mail-transport-agent
Package logrotate has broken dep on mailx
  Considering mailx 8 as a solution to logrotate 5
  Holding Back logrotate rather than change mailx
Package linuxconf has broken dep on logrotate
  Considering logrotate 5 as a solution to linuxconf 9999
    Reinst Failed early because of smail
    Reinst Failed because of mail-transport-agent
    Reinst Failed because of mailx
Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  linuxconf: Depends: logrotate but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
turing:~#
-*-*-*-

>From what I can see, the problem is with smail. mailx depends on smail, but it
should depend on exim, as this is the default MTA on a Debian system.

Should I file a bug?

Thanks.
--
Pedro Guerreiro
Universidade do Algarve (EST) - Campus da Penha - 8000 Faro - PORTUGAL