Re: RBL report..

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 10:34:05AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
>> b) use uucp-over-tcp (requires uucp account somewhere)
>> c) use smtp-over-ssh (requires shell account somewhere)
>
>Can someone point me to any references on setting up either of these.
>I had to give up my static IP and often have problems with my ISP's

I use POP and SMTP over SSH.  You can do this by using the "-L" option of
ssh, but that means you need to start a new session every time you change IP
addresses (which is too painful for me).
I have inetd use a special port on localhost (not bound to any IP address
other than 127.0.0.1) which runs ssh to my server with a command to run my
"pass" program.  Pass is one of the many TCP port redirection programs, it
connects to a specified IP address and port (port 25 or 110 on localhost) and
passes data back and forth.  For this I have a special RSA key which allows
passwordless logins to my server which can run the pass program (and not much
else).  The ssh client program is run from an account which has the private
key in question, but which is locked so it can only be accessed from su and
inetd.
Then I make my ssh server listen on various ports on one of it's IP addresses
(such as port 25).  This is so that I can use networks where port 22 is
filtered for "security reasons" (IE they don't want security).

--
My current location - X marks the spot.