Re: RBL report..

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 02:17:55AM +0200, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > DUL is very effective in doing that. it prevents spammers from
> > hiding their activities from their ISP...which ensures that they
> > will be caught and their account nuked very promptly.
>
> Okay, I see this point, however, I do have a problem with the
> categoric blacklisting of IPs just because they're dialup.

i can see why you have a problem with that and i would agree with you
if there weren't any alternatives. however, as has been mentioned many
times, there are several alternatives, including (but not limited to)
the following:

a) use the ISP's mail relay
b) use uucp-over-tcp (requires uucp account somewhere)
c) use smtp-over-ssh (requires shell account somewhere)
d) pop-before-smtp or SMPT-Auth or SSL certificate relaying (requires
   mail account somewhere)

using the DUL is like a "no junk mail" sticker on your letter box...if
someone wants something delivered to your letter box they have to go
through the normal channels to do so (i.e. pay the postage). i don't
know about other countries, but here in Australia it is illegal to
ignore a "no junk mail" or "addressed mail only" sign on a letterbox.

> > that's the medium-term indirect effect of DUL...the immediately
> > beneficial direct effect is that spam from dialup users is blocked by
> > anyone who makes use of the DUL.
>
> Well, hmmm, only direct spam, but you are right. DUL and ORBS do make
> for a quite potent combination.

personally, i don't use ORBS - too much collateral damage.  i use MAPS
RBL, MAPS RSS, and MAPS DUL...they make a very effective combination.

> I just realized this would also take care of that VERY annoying kind
> of spam where spammers send spam directly to the 2nd highest MX record
> in a zone. That mailserver looks at the MX and thinks, hey, not for
> me, but I'm a fallback, let me just forward this, and my MTA thinks
> hey this is from my fallback, I trust that guy.

yep, as long as the secondary MX uses the DUL that will work (and the
other RBLs too).

craig

--
craig sanders