Re: RBL report..

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> DUL is very effective in doing that. it prevents spammers from hiding
> their activities from their ISP...which ensures that they will be caught
> and their account nuked very promptly.

Okay, I see this point, however, I do have a problem with the categoric
blacklisting of IPs just because they're dialup.

> that's the medium-term indirect effect of DUL...the immediately
> beneficial direct effect is that spam from dialup users is blocked by
> anyone who makes use of the DUL.

Well, hmmm, only direct spam, but you are right. DUL and ORBS do make
for a quite potent combination.

I just realized this would also take care of that VERY annoying kind of
spam where spammers send spam directly to the 2nd highest MX record in a
zone. That mailserver looks at the MX and thinks, hey, not for me, but I'm
a fallback, let me just forward this, and my MTA thinks hey this is from
my fallback, I trust that guy.

DUL sounds better by the minute. I apologize for the Clue comment :-)

> forces them to use their ISP's mail server, thus increasing the
> effectiveness of the MAPS RBL because it forces the ISP to take
> responsibility for their users' actions - it takes away their option to
> bullshit and say "nothing to do with me, i only provide dialup service".

Any provider who says this should be tarred and feathered anyway
;)

> anyway...novice mail admins are the bane of real mail admins everywhere,
> their fuckups cause problems all over the net (not the least of which
> is that novice mail admins often run open relays through ignorance or
> indifference to the spam problem)

Tell me about it. Had enough troubles with these at work. At least they
all take a heavy hint very well. People get very nervous when they might
get their Mail access snipped.

--
 "Kif, if there's one thing I don't need it's your 'I don't think that's
  wise' attitude."