Re: Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 01:37:01PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 11:14:56PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > The simple fact you are missing is that Debian is not an industry.
>
> Which doesn't mean that all arguments are not valid. As Manoj pointed out,
> being outdated is not making us reach our technical goals.

However, just because a distribution does contain kernel x.y does not mean
it is technical excellent or even up-to-date (I want to point out that most
distributions always contain up to date versions of the kernel, apache, X
and gnome, but most other packages are often older versions than in Debian).

> > Don't make the same mistakes as the industry. Making last minute changes and
> > rushing in x.0 versions of critical software is just Plain Wrong.
> > Especially the Linux kernels are often very unstable 'til x.12 or 14.
>
> No one ever suggested dumping 2.2 for 2.4. All that's talked about is ADDING
> a 2.4 image.

Nothing wrong with that, if it contains a warning that various packages may
not work with this kernel installed (as long as it is not tested much).

Thanks,
Marcus