Re: 6 days till Bug Horizon

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 12:20:52PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> > Package: gnome-apt (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Apt Packaging Team <apt@packages.debian.org>
> >   57283 gnome-apt: libapt-pkg2.7 dependency problem
> > [STRATEGY] Needs to be recompiled with libapt-pkg2.8
> Is this being actively maintained? If not, it seems
> like a perfect remove.

    Well, the oddity here is that gnome-apt isn't getting recompiled
and released at the same time as apt.  I had a short correspondence
with Mitch Blevins <mblevin@debian.org> some time ago when I offered
to NMU it, and discovered that doing so can actually cause some
problems, since it's built from the apt CVS.  I declined to become the
official maintainer at that time due to being kind of
package-overloaded as it is and the fact that I only use it from time
to time.  The last I heard James Lewis Moss was showing some official
interest, but I don't know how that came out.

> > Package: kaffe (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Ean R. Schuessler <ean@novare.net>
> >   55618 kaffe: shell scripts starting kaffe components contain invalid paths
> >   55835 kaffe_1:1.0.5e-0.1(frozen): build error: make -j fails
> >   55848 jdk1.1: paths screwed up ?
>
> Somebody needs to NMU this again, as the maintainer doesn't seem
> to be around, and at least 55618 is a simple (but fatal) bug.
> If we take this out, we need to move all the Java programs
> that need a virtual machine to contrib again.

    I'll look into NMUing it tonight, since fixing 55618 and 55848 is
fairly simple.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix 55835, though,
and I'm not sure that it's specifically a kaffe bug, although it's
probably possible to build a kaffe workaround.  Someone might want to
reassign it to automake or autoconf.  Bug #58434 isn't something I can
fix, either.  Since they're both arch-specific problems, I plan to
salvage kaffe for i386 by the expedient of setting Architecture: i386
on it, instead of Architecture: any, and then downgrading those bugs
to normal.  If someone else can fix them, please do.

> > Package: libfltk1 (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Sean E. Perry <shaleh@debian.org>
> >   52437 libfltk1 should link against a gl library?
>
> I don't understand why this is an important problem.
> It runs the programs it's linked against.

    Apparantly this bug prevents people from compiling with libfltk1.
I'll look at NMUing this, too, since I have some time tonight.

> > Package: xcdroast (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>
> >   57434 Looks in the wrong place for source data and "locks up".
>
> I wouldn't call it a important bug. It's a normal bug (doesn't
> work quite right in some circumstances) and a wishlist bug
> (the "locks up" is merely cosmetic. It's annoying, but definetly
> not fatal.)

    I filed this bug.  It absolutely prevents CD-to-CD copying, which
was not a problem in the previous version.  I think that's significant
enough to justify reverting to a previous functioning version, unless
it can be demonstrated that this is an isolated problem, in which case
I'd support it being reduced to normal if a warning were placed
somewhere..  I'd like to hear from other users of xosview with SCSI
devices on this.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.