Re: Upgrading apt from Corel to Debian potato: success!

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 05:59:14PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 01:24:54PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >
> > No the correct solution is that Corel must provide a new kde-corel
> > package updated to use the latest apt. And they could split a bit this
> > package so that we can have the apt gui without the rest and/or the file
> > manager without the rest.
> >
> Yes, that is the right way to do it, but since we have little influence
> over Corel, another approach may be needed.

I think this would set a very bad precedent.  Spinoff distributions are
fine, but it should be _their_ job to keep up with _us_, not the other
way around.  We'd quickly find ourselves mired in conflicting technical
requirements if we tried that.

Richard Braakman