need help for ghc4, happy (was: Re: 6 days till Bug Horizon)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 23:52:46 +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Package: ghc4 (debian/main).
> Maintainer: Aaron Van Couwenberghe <aaronv@debian.org>
>   52794 ghc4_4.04.19990916-3(unstable): configure doesn't know m68k
> [WAITING] Maintainer was contacted on Feb. 20, awaiting reply. (MH)
>   55247 ghc4: can't compile from source
> [WAITING] Maintainer was contacted on Feb. 20, awaiting reply. (MH)

[CC'ed to debian-devel and Aaron]

Hi!

Aaron (which is my sponsor for `ghc4' and `happy') didn't respond to my mail
for more than two weeks (and promised to upload for _months_...), and there
are open "bugs" against these packages for quite some time, so hereby I ask
others to help (I am not an official Debian-maintainer, as you might have
guessed).

Some additional info:

  * ghc4 is a CVS snapshot of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler,
    happy is a parser generator for Haskell, needed to build ghc4

  * ALL open RC bugs result from a wrong setting of the `Architecture'
    field,. Both packages currently work on i386-linux _exclusively_! (SPARC
    would be possible, though, but not in frozen).

    => most of the bugs go away, if someone would reset Architecture to "i386"

  * happy is a build-depend of ghc4, but was already kicked out of frozen,
    because of these Architecture-RC-bugs. I suggest getting it back into
    frozen and either downgrade the RC-bugs (as Ian Jackson proposed, see
    debian-devel archives) or rechange the Architecture field to "i386".

  * there were several new versions of ghc4, which weren't uploaded (they
    would have fixed most, if not all, wishlist/normal bugs)

    The latest packages can be downloaded at
      http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Software/Haskell/

    Also, they're apt-able from

deb http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Software/Haskell/debian unstable/
deb-src http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Software/Haskell/debian unstable/

  * upstream has released a new version of GHC lately, which I ALREADY
    packaged (plus some fixes). Furthermore, upstream is unlikely to change
    anything important until at least mid-March (because of the ICFP
    deadline, as mentioned on the ghc-mailinglist).

  * the packages are lintian clean (IIRC), and the latest ghc4 is able to
    recompile itself. If someone steps foreward to NMU (and therefore has to
    rebuild it, IIRC), at least 128MB phys. RAM and a fast machine will
    definitely help (compilation takes about 3-4 hours on an otherwise
    unloaded C333/256MB).

So, I'd appreciate a NMU to let both package make their way into frozen.

Since especially the GHC package is _big_ (source+binary total ~10MB), it
takes quite some time to download the packages via modem. Having them on
Debian-CDs would be great for not-so-well-connected users, IMO.

Cheers,
Michael
--
standard construction, def:
    "sort of a mathematical equivalent of 'hey you'"