Re: Riva TNT Acceleration for Mesa

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 02:29:22AM +0000, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> While the 3dfx cards have some support in Debian, there doesn't seem
> to be much for the TNT on i386 arch. In specific, I wonder why the GLX
> hack for TNT isn't available as a debian package. An rpm that I found, with
> some manual intervention, worked smooth on my potato box.
>
> I think that there must be a lot of people with i386+TNT who would like to
> use their 3d card for GL apps and development. We all know things are
> going to be settled in XFree86 4.x, however it seems a long way ahead.
> (And it seems to lagging behind the schedule...)
>
> Until then, having a package would be quite convenient.  AFAIK, it's doesn't
> require much effort; put the glx.so module for X, its headers, put the mesa
> bins with the hooks for GLX extensions, some docs and there you go. The
> rpm I had solved most of the problems anyway. With a proper X config and
> handling of lib files, you can get a pleasant GL display. I'd used it for
> development,
> and I found it sufficient for many purposes. Unless you use the more exotic GL
> features, the hardware is utilized (all basic shading/mapping functions are
> there).
> Well, the full screen modes don't work well. But who needs those full screen X
> GL displays anyway? Aren't we all programmers who work with many clumsy windows?
>
> :)
>
> Anyway, I wonder if there is a xfree86-rivagl_*.deb in the works. Otherwise, I'd
>
> really like to know why not. Is it because of the license? If so, why don't we
> have
> a non-free package? Or hasn't there been demand for it? I think it would be
> inconsistent to support all those out-of-reach hardware setups, and miss on the
> humble Riva TNT.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
>  ++++-+++-+++-++-++-++--+---+----+----- ---  --  -  -
>  +  Eray "eXa" Ozkural                   .      .   .  . . .
>  +  CS, Bilkent University, Ankara             ^  .  o   .      .
>  |  mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr                .  ^  .   .

look to utah-glx.sourceforge.org.  They maintain all the GLX drivers (including
i810, G[24]00, ATI Rage(dunno which ones), and the nVidia chips.  They have
the debian/ stuff built right into the stuff, you just have to build them.
daily CVS builds are put at debian.oftheinter.net/glx.  They will probably
get into woody soon when Crow has a chance.

Erik Bernhardson
journey@jps.net
--
It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool, than to speak and
remove all doubt.