Re: ITP: devfsd

Elie Rosenblum <fnord@debian.org> writes:

> I've already got packages for devfs and devfsd (devfs package being
> a script ripped from the kernel source that saves and restores admin
> changes to /dev on shutdown / startup); last time I brought up devfsd,
> there were many complaints that devfs did not default to the same
> permissions as our standard /dev + makedev, and I haven't really put
> any further thought into how to fix that. My personal preference at
> this time while it's not standard is to ignore it, and let the admin
> decide if they wants to run devfs and to take care of /dev themselves
> with it.
>
> Look at http://www.cosanostra.net/~fnord/devfs/

What I'm doing is writing a config file that tries to duplicate the
MAKEDEV permissions.  Example lines:

REGISTER        /cd$    PERMISSIONS     root.cdrom      0660
REGISTER        ^sound/ PERMISSIONS     root.audio      0660

The trouble with just going through the script is that I don't always
know what the new name in devfs is, and searching through the kernel
source for it is slow and possibly error-prone.  So I'd probably just
release what I'm sure of, and depend on others to file bug reports to
make the list more complete.

I'm also thinking of making a directory /etc/devfs-extras/ to hold
files, such as a /dev/mouse symlink or /dev/xconsole, which need to be
installed at boot time.  The name is clumsy, though -- any better
suggestions?  (I'm a bit leery of the save/restore permissions thing,
since it won't do anything for devices loaded from modules.)
--
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."