Re: ITP: devfsd

In article <873dqnbgc6.fsf@adsl-63-193-247-253.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net> you wrote:
> Elie Rosenblum <fnord@debian.org> writes:

> What I'm doing is writing a config file that tries to duplicate the
> MAKEDEV permissions.  Example lines:

It probably wouldn't be hard to emit this from my hypothetically rewritten
makedev.

> The trouble with just going through the script is that I don't always
> know what the new name in devfs is

:-)  Keeping makedev up to date as the kernel changes is a similar problem.

> I'm also thinking of making a directory /etc/devfs-extras/ to hold
> files, such as a /dev/mouse symlink or /dev/xconsole, which need to be
> installed at boot time.

Is this completely per-machine, or are most things likely to be Debian'isms?
I'm trying to understand the division of responsibilities between makedev and
the devfs user-space code.  For example, makedev currently uses an init.d
fragment to install a /dev/MAKEDEV symlink.  I'd like that to just go away
in the future, but my point is that the makedev package is already trying to
maintain this one element of persistent state across reboots in the presence
of devfs...

Bdale