Re: ITP: namazu2

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 10:29:19AM +0900, Masayuki Hatta wrote:
> Agreed.  Writing in English is pretty tough anyway...

You write far better English than I can write Japanese...

> branden> Is it like grep (perhaps a multi-byte character aware grep)?
>
> No, it's much more like glimpse or Alta Vista or something like that.
> It indexes a bunch of files,  store those information in a(maybe some)
> database, and you can query it to search through all of them.
>
> It has various interfaces(CGI, Tcl/Tk client, Emacs client, et cetra.).
>
> BTW, Debian seems to use glimpse for mailing list archive search.  AFAIK
> The license of glimpse is miserably non-free, so why don't we use
> Namazu instead?
>
> Debian JP uses Namazu for their own ML archive search for years, and
> the performance and robustness seems to be pretty well IMHO.
> And one more good thing, Namazu has been i18ned.

This sounds utterly awesome, especially since the Debian website itself is
currently without a search engine.  Perhaps Namazu is up to the task?

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Reality is what refuses to go away when
Debian GNU/Linux               |    I stop believing in it.