Re: ITP: namazu2

Hi there,

From: Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: ITP: namazu2
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:40:28 -0500

branden> > Namazu2 is the namazu next generation which has some incompatible parts
branden> > with old namazu version 1.x (already in Debian).
branden> > Namazu is the full text search engine.

branden> I'm sorry, that doesn't really help me to understand what the package does.
branden> (You probably mean "a" instead of "the", by the way.)

Agreed.  Writing in English is pretty tough anyway...

branden> Is it like grep (perhaps a multi-byte character aware grep)?

No, it's much more like glimpse or Alta Vista or something like that.
It indexes a bunch of files,  store those information in a(maybe some)
database, and you can query it to search through all of them.

It has various interfaces(CGI, Tcl/Tk client, Emacs client, et cetra.).

branden> If you can describe to the list in more detail exactly what it does, I'd be
branden> happy to help you write a package description that is more easily
branden> understood by thick-headed folks like me.   :)

Thanks.

BTW, Debian seems to use glimpse for mailing list archive search.  AFAIK
The license of glimpse is miserably non-free, so why don't we use
Namazu instead?

Debian JP uses Namazu for their own ML archive search for years, and
the performance and robustness seems to be pretty well IMHO.
And one more good thing, Namazu has been i18ned.

--
Masayuki Hatta
University of Tokyo