Re: Packages removed from frozen

>>"Tyson" == Tyson Dowd <trd@cs.mu.OZ.AU> writes:

 Tyson> I have plenty of background in compilers, and I can tell you that the
 Tyson> story you are almost certainly referring to (C compiler that inserts
 Tyson> code into login.c, and then into the C compiler when being recompiled)
 Tyson> was ficticious.  It was a story.  Very well told to make it seem very
 Tyson> real.

        OOooh, man, you just shot your credibility down. In the
 question and answer session following the presentation of
 http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/, the author admitted that the
 compiler was indeed coded with those bugs, but he was reasonably sure
 that the tainted code did not escape this machine,

        So it was not fictitous, and I am surprised that someone with
 a back ground in compilers is unaware of this tale (it certainly
 circulated several tiems on USENET before comp.lang.c was drowned)

        manoj
--
 When the sun shineth, make hay. John Heywood