Re: Packages removed from frozen

>>"David" == David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:

 David> On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 05:41:31PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> In these cases I suggest that the doc packages be broken out,
 >> and only the doc package depends on teh binary packages. Voila! no
 >> circular depends.
 >>
 >> This was the reason for suggesting that there be a public
 >> investigation before allowing self build depends -- sometimes, you do
 >> not need any.

 David> But is this a good thing? You save time and difficulty in the rare
 David> instance of building for a new architecture, but at the cost of
 David> increasing time and difficulty in working with the package on a
 David> daily basis.

        Do you really waste that much more time? Aftrer the first
 build, you can still build multiple binary packages in the same
 dpkg-buildpackage; you do not need to sign any more than you needed
 to before.

        The person installing the packages could even be grateful if
 they have a farm of machines, and only install the docs on one
 of them

        Frankly, I thik the overhead is rather minimal.

        manoj
--
 The friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy
 soul with hooks of steel; but do not dull thy palm with entertainment