Re: Packages removed from frozen

>>"Samuel" == Samuel Tardieu <sam@debian.org> writes:

>>>>> "Manoj" == Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:

 Samuel> Then if I follow your reasoning, GNAT, which is based on GCC, which
 Samuel> needs to have GNAT already installed to compile itself and which makes
 Samuel> the same tests as GCC to compare passes 2 and 3 qualifies to be a
 Samuel> build-essential package? As the GNAT maintainer, I'm quite happy with
 Samuel> it :)

        Or potentially a class called
 potential-security-risl-that-can-not-be-audited-by-looking-at-the-source,
 which is closer to the truth.

 Manoj> However, this is not a dispensation that should be lightly
 Manoj> given. Bootstrapping from scratch should be kept to a bare
 Manoj> minimum of preinstalled packages -- the build essentials.

 Samuel> Cool, GNAT qualifies once more, as it needs to be here to build itself
 Samuel> and other tools such as asis, gch, libgtkada, adasockets, etc. :)

        I can't figure out of this is sarcasm or stupity. I'll give
 the benefit of doubt, and assume this was a misdirected attempt at
 sarcasm. You really don't take security seriously, do you?

        What was being attempted here is a dioalog on how one handles
 security risks in packages that depend on a binaty copy of themselves
 to build; and frankly, I see hibes and sarcasm as having no place
 here.

        Of course, you may be entirely sincere, and merely exhibiting
 extremely poor judgement in calling gnats build essential, in which
 case please accept my apology, and my commiserations, for this must
 be a really tough profession for you.

        manoj
 tired of smart aleck retorts
--
 You will overcome the attacks of jealous associates.