Re: Debdiff project announcement.

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 05:34:30PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
: On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 03:57:18PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
: > rsync uses a diff-like mechanism to transfer the differences in the
: > files on each end, so I think an rsync method would ease traffic for
: > low-bandwidth users.
:
: I don't think rsync is all that useful for compressed binary data.

My experience with rsync is limited to using it as the debian mirror
protocol - I don't claim to have run tests, extensive or otherwise :)
I do know that a significant amount of the data transferred to my
mirror every day via rsync is compressed binary data ...

It does sound like an interesting idea, but it would be useful to
determine if the rsync "diff" is significantly smaller than the actual
files involved ...

Have you any data in this matter?

Regards,

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7