Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 12:56:49AM +0100, Thomas Quinot wrote:
[ snip ]
: Now, if you are willing to stop spreading FUD and perform an elementary
: reality check, can you provide one example scenario where Debian's mbr buys
: you one fnctionality that cannot beachieved using plain LILO?

Sure.  If you install LILO in the MBR, and dual boot to another OS (pick one,
it really doesn't matter), and then manage to hose your Linux install in such
a way that you can't boot to Linux, you are stuck.  You can't even boot to your
other OS unless you've already set that up (and maybe you didn't, we're talking
about new inexperienced users here).

With mbr (the package) you can get out of this situation easily.

Having said that, I do agree that the floppy boot behavior is generally not needed.
I never install mbr myself since I (almost never) build dual boot machines.

I've been using Debian since 1.2 and have known about mbr all this time.  I wonder
why that is?  I realised early on that mbr gave others functionality I didn't want
then to have, so I always edit /etc/lilo.conf to "fix" this issue right after the
intitial install.  I also do lots of other things like remove Tex, edit /etc/profile
to taste, add users, edit /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}, etc.  You can't make everyone
happy with the defaults.  Defaults should be usable.

I think Craig Sanders has summed up the issue best:  Who cares what the default is
as long as there's a choice?

Vitriolic replies happily forwarded to /dev/null.

Regards,

--
Nathan Norman                    Network Magician, Eclectic Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7