Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

>>"Pierre" == Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr> writes:

 Pierre> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 12:04:16PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
 >> The purpose of this MBR is the same as that of any MBR.

 Pierre> Funny, you edited out my question about why _THIS_ MBR allows you
 Pierre> to choose to boot from a floppy. Does the logical answer disturb
 Pierre> you, perhaps?

 Pierre> If I read the above correctly, you agree with me, then, that _THIS_
 Pierre> MBR should be replaced with a regular, less-featured MBR.

 Pierre> Thank you, my point is made.

        I suppose I could attribute the above to english not being
  your first language, rather than sheer stupidity, as was my
  first inclination.

        I don't think that is what he meant.

 >> > Not a help button. A PROMINENT warning, and preferably another
 >> > choice by default.
 >>
 >> Which would mean that anybody without an MBR already on their system
 >> would not get a bootable machine.  Bad idea.

 Pierre> Either you can't read or you're trying to make me look like an idiot.

        I don't think you need help ;-)

 Pierre> No: that means Lilo's MBR would be installed instead by default.
 Pierre> _That_ is the reasonnable choice. You implicitly admitted this
 Pierre> at the top.

        That MBR does not have enough features: for example, it does
 not allow me to bypass LILO when LILO is messed up.

        manoj
 who knows that security has to have its limits.
--
 Programmers do it bit by bit.