Re: [POSSIBLE GRAVE SECURITY HOLD]

The basic principle is that you cannot achieve full security on a
machine if untrusted people have physical access to it.  Period.

That said, there are things that you can do to make it more secure in
that situation.  As this situation is rare, it makes zero sense for us
to inconvenience everyone else out there because of it.  Like you
said, you'll need to tie down LILO by giving it a password.  You'll
need to padlock shut your computer's cases.  You'll need to disable
the floppies entirely or at least disable booting from them.  You'll
need to password-protect your BIOS.  You may need to remove MBR.
You'll need to attach ethernet cables in such a way that they cannot
be removed.  You'll need to padlock the computer to the room.  You'll
need to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del.  If it has an external SCSI port, you'll
need to disable that or disable SCAM.

As you can see, some of these are within our control, some are not.  I
believe we should, and have, provide mechanisms to allow a box to be
secured in such a fashion.  However, using them in such a fashion BY
DEFAULT is not in anyone's best interest.  Note that even Sun machines
can easily be halted and the BIOS entered -- at runtime -- by anyone
sitting at the keyboard.

-- John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
The 70,919,400th prime number is 1,419,678,413.