Re: Community membership

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 05:35:40AM +0000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > Its great to contribute code, but not thats not the only way to
> > contribute.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Debian is a great "experts" distribution, but i wouldnt recommend it to
> > a windows user who has no linux knowledge.
>
> Sad but true :( On the other side we don't have the resources that other
> distributors have to check the installation and stuff.

Actually, since getting to know debian I'm debating moving some
non-computer savvy family over to Linux. Pre-installed, of course. The
admin model and the stabilty are keys for me, e.g. I don't want to get
calls from grandma because her computer went down. I'd rather get calls
that she's made another batch of Spaetzle for me ;-).

Why should she sit on a ppp connection waiting for aol updates when she
can be auto-downloading Linux updates? ;-)

> > Broadening the membership base to draw in people other than
> > coders/packagers could help to give debian a better perspective on what
> > issues need to be resolved in a "newbies" eyes, which could help to make
> > it a more widespread/better product.
> >
> > Developers and communitity members wouldnt have to be "equals"
>
> Sorry, but how do you define a developer? A developer does not have to
> maintain a package. You can also be a developer who takes care of the
> translation to a new language. You can handle the full implementation of
> the Debian menu system (some packages still don't use it).

There are many ways to help without being a "developer". Sending in bug
reports and letting people see you use Debian are also helpful. Maybe you
could tattoo the logo on your forehead. :)

ciao,

der.hans

--
# The Linux for YOUR Business seminar, Feb 8th in Phoenix #