Re: Community membership

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 05:35:40AM +0000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Its great to contribute code, but not thats not the only way to
> contribute.

Agreed.

> Debian is a great "experts" distribution, but i wouldnt recommend it to
> a windows user who has no linux knowledge.

Sad but true :( On the other side we don't have the resources that other
distributors have to check the installation and stuff.

> Broadening the membership base to draw in people other than
> coders/packagers could help to give debian a better perspective on what
> issues need to be resolved in a "newbies" eyes, which could help to make
> it a more widespread/better product.
>
> Developers and communitity members wouldnt have to be "equals"

Sorry, but how do you define a developer? A developer does not have to
maintain a package. You can also be a developer who takes care of the
translation to a new language. You can handle the full implementation of
the Debian menu system (some packages still don't use it).

> Wether its worthwile to do this would depend on how hard it is to
> implement, but everyone can contribute in there own way.
>
> If it was easy to implement what would be the disadvantage of it ?

Asked the other way round: What do you want to implement? Another Linux
counter? The next slashdot? We have that already, why make another on
on xyz.debian.org?

If you want to help you can submit patches (where patches != code - perhaps
you can fix typos in the docs, enhance the manpages, whatever). Or you can
submit bug reports to the bts or provide more information on existing bugs.
There is so much you can do but I don't see why you would need to register
as "community member" for that.

Before I became a developer, Othmar Pasteka and I did some work to fix many
of the bugs on the ppp package in Debian. There is no reason why you can't
do something like this.

This is the usual way of doing things in the free software community. Just
go ahead and do it. You don't have to register for being a member of the
community. You are already a member if somebody remembers you name because
you were mentioned in a credits/changelog file, on a web page etc...

Friendly

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member