Re: Community membership

> > > Broadening the membership base to draw in people other than
> > > coders/packagers could help to give debian a better perspective on what
> > > issues need to be resolved in a "newbies" eyes, which could help to make
> > > it a more widespread/better product.
> > >
> > > Developers and communitity members wouldnt have to be "equals"
> >
> > Sorry, but how do you define a developer? A developer does not have to
> > maintain a package. You can also be a developer who takes care of the
> > translation to a new language. You can handle the full implementation of
> > the Debian menu system (some packages still don't use it).
>
> There are many ways to help without being a "developer". Sending in bug
> reports and letting people see you use Debian are also helpful. Maybe you
> could tattoo the logo on your forehead. :)

I agree

I think im presenting this membership issue in the wrong way, ill try
and clarify my understanding of the situation.

1. Debian membership has been frozen since around october last year.

2. Debian is a free/open organisation and wants membership to be open to
those who want to contribute to debian in some way.

3. Memebership freeze occured due to problems processing new applicants,
in some cases processing taking months.

>From the above i concluded that a new simpler membership process would
be good.

I thought id heard mention of community membership a while back, and
wondered what was happening with it.

So what is the latest with the membership issue(is my info out of date).
Please correct me where im wrong.

Thanks

Glenn McGrath

P.S. I didnt present this argument for my own reasons, i think its good
for debian to resolve this issue.