Re: Why no package seems to take care of the new /dev/console device?

  I have no idea what should be done, but if it's decided that replacing the
console device is correct..

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 05:53:30PM +0200, Shaul Karl was heard to say:
> 2) Decide what current users (slink users) should do. Is it simply a matter of
> rm slink /dev/console and MAKEDEV the new /dev/console and that is all? What
> will be the consequences of doing these rm and MAKEDEDV on a running system?

  I'd assume that the only problem is that programs might try to open
/dev/console in the brief timespan that it's gone..would it be sufficient to
just MAKEDEV the new console in another directory on the same filesystem, then
mv it to /dev/console?  (mv should use rename, which is atomic)

  Daniel

--
There are many of us in this old world of ours who hold that things break
about even for all of us.  I have observed, for example, that we all get