Re: ifconfig vs. ip

| I did, however, see things missing. Like support for anything besides IPv4.

You must be kidding, as I installed "ip" because it made life much easier
to me to create IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel, manage IPv6 addresses, proxy-ndisc
(equivalent to proxy-arp in IPv4), etc. Moreover, it supports handling
multicast routes, etc. It has many options not found in ifconfig and
route.

For example, here is what I use to setup a tunnel named "melchior6" to
a box connected to the 6bone:

ip tunnel add melchior6 ttl 64 mode sit remote 137.194.161.6
ip link set melchior6 up
ip addr add 3ffe:304:103:a0:2c0:4fff:fe4b:3e28 dev melchior6
ip route add 3ffe::/15 dev melchior6

and I have several tunnels like that, all working like a charm.

To proxy-ndisc me, the remote machine has to issue a command like:

ip neighbour add proxy 3ffe:304:103:a0:2c0:4fff:fe4b:3e28 dev eth0

That's it. And you tell me IPv4 is the only thing supported? Come on :)

But as other posters do, I prefer to let "standard" commands in the default
"/etc/init.d/network" script.

  Sam