Re: ifconfig vs. ip

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 11:04:12AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Philip Blundell wrote:
>
> > >  For the network setup stuff in Debian (/etc/init.d/network), will the
> > >ifconfig/route commands be replaced with 'ip' commands?
> >
> > What advantage would this give?
>
> 'ip' can do many odd an esoteric things that are difficult (impossible?)
> to do with ifconfig/route.
>
> Personally given how relatively standard route and ifconfig are and that
> they cover the majority of cases it doesn't make sense to change away from
> them. This is particularly important given how cryptic (brief) ip is :>
>
> People who need the functions ip can do can use it in conjunction or in
> place of the standard mechanisms.
  After playing with ip on an lrp system I can say that I didn't see
anything in ip that wasn't in the standard tools. I did, however, see things
missing. Like support for anything besides IPv4. ip is also missing
important sanity checks. I spent fifteen minutes debuging this lrp box
before I noticed the routes for the local networks on the two interfaces
were switched. IE: The route to 10.168.45.0/24 was on the 168.174.45.0/24
interface. For general use ip is a bad thing. For lrp, sure, it appears to
be a little smaller. For /really/ freaky situation you can get it, but you
have to get /really/ strange to need ip.
  - Nick Lopez
    Wanna-be maintainer
    kimo_sabe@atdot.org