Re: Problems installing/upgrading potato

    Brian> Problems when installing potato from scratch (another
    Brian> computer):

    Brian> installation routine gave me an option to "reboot
    Brian> computer".  I have two partitions mounted (via the online
    Brian> dialogs): /home /

    Brian> however, the boot disk didn't umount /, so a check was
    Brian> forced on my next reboot. I consider this to be a serious
    Brian> problem (ie could result in loss of data)...

    Brian> Also, recently I keep getting messages on startup like:

    Brian> insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
    Brian> /lib/modules/2.2.13/modules.dep

    Brian> (this was on my first boot, before / is mounted read-write)

    Brian> and

    Brian> insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.13/misc/unix.o: cannot create
    Brian> /var/log/ksymoops/2000118004326.ksyms Read-only file system

    Brian> (I thought this was specific to my diskless boot system,
    Brian> now I guess I was wrong)

    Brian> and

    Brian> Calculating module dependencies... depmod: error reading
    Brian> ELF header: No such file or directory.

    Brian> ????  Actually I suspect this isn't as bad as it
    Brian> seems. Maybe some invalid file found its way into
    Brian> /lib/modules, and is being ignored.

    Brian> Also:

    Brian> the installation disk wouldn't let me select my download
    Brian> location before asking me to select my tasks :-( (this is
    Brian> after it downloads the complete package list).

    Brian> The sample /etc/apt/sources.list lists stable, using the
    Brian> old format for non-US, and doesn't use mirrors that are
    Brian> close to me..

    Brian> On the topic of non-english language support (not that I
    Brian> understand anything other then english <grin>),
    Brian> task-japanese wouldn't install because a required package
    Brian> couldn't be found (can't remember not which one), and
    Brian> doc-linux-zh-s has an error in the control file, so cannout
    Brian> be configured.

    Brian> I don't have time to file bug reports right now (besides -
    Brian> it isn't configured yet), so I will just put everything
    Brian> here, and refer to it later.

    Brian> xf86config messed up and put '(null)' instead of the
    Brian> vertical refresh rate (which I entered manually) into
    Brian> XF86Config.

    Brian> man wasn't installed by default????? Perhaps this is a side
    Brian> affect of not doing the initial part properly.

    Brian> Selecting all of the task-gnome packages didn't install a
    Brian> window manager. Maybe this was expected, I am not sure.

    Brian> emacs19 was installed instead of emacs20 or xemacs20. I has
    Brian> told emacs19 is now obsolete.

    Brian> Lots of warnings compiling *.el files, eg reference to free
    Brian> variable, bound but not referenced, obsolete variable,
    Brian> functions that are known but not defined.

Two more problems I noticed later on:

- When asked if my clock as GMT or not, I answered no. However, I got
GMT time enabled, and had to manually disable it.

- I think this has been mentioned numerous times beforehand, so I
might try searching the mailing list archives if I get a chance.
XWindows cannot use the mouse (/dev/psaux) if gpm is running - I have
to stop gpm first.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>