Re: [leganii@surfree.com: Re: FWD: C-Kermit & potato]

Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu> writes:

> > This is a foolish argument; it's incorrect.  You don't have to support
> > forked code branches at all.  Nobody is asking you to.

> I don't think we need to be calling each other foolish, Thomas.

Nor do I.  Nor did I.  I called your argument foolish.  I have no idea
if you are foolish.

> The Kermit Project writes and supports Kermit software.  Our name is on
> it.  We take hundreds of support calls every day.  The fact that you
> might not think we are responsible for a forked version does not reduce
> our workload.

Then do what TeX does: trademark the name and prohibit its use for any
non-Columbia version.  Back when Kermit was new, people hadn't though
how to solve the problems you are worried about.  But you have
apparently ignored twenty years of people thinking about free software
licenses.

Thomas