Re: Prepackaged kernels in Potato not configured for DHCP

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 12:32:13PM +0100, Bart-Jan Vrielink wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> > Admittedly I can't work out why a DHCP server would need to obtain
>> > an address using DHCP -- and indeed why the DHCP server would be running
>> > _before_ the client's request is sent.
>>
>> Well, I have my home server both connected to the cable (dhcp-client on
>> eth1) and to my local network (dhcpd on eth0). It's the only server
>> available and I wouldn't want to drop dhcpcd because that would break too
>> much on other systems.

>That's a good example. However, you would then set dhcpd (server)
>just to monitor eth0 (or whatever your local LAN's interface is) and
>not the cable modem interface as well.

The most recent case for me was an IPMASQ box hooked up to a
cable modem.  The cable modem interface was eth0, and needed
dhcp client, the internal network used 10.x.x.x space, and
needed to serve DHCP.

When I tried that with dhcpcd and dhcp from slink, it didn't
work.  dhcpcd was suposed to work with eth0, and dhcpd was
supposed to work with eth1.  IIRC, dhcpd set up a host route to
255.255.255.255 through eth1. and then dhcpcd configured eth0
as 255.255.255.255, wiping out the route dhcpd set up.  Or
something like that.  It was a mess.

Moving to potato, kernel 2.2.13, and dhcp and dhcp-client, I
was able to get it working.

I'm in the ISP business, so I think I'll be setting up a bunch
more of these IPMASQ/Cable Modem/DHCP boxes in the months ahead.

Regardless of my recent religious conversion to dhcp-client :)
looking at the potato dhcpcd, it's using a packet socket as
well, so it may work fine with dhcpd on the same machine, but
it still needs CONFIG_PACKET in the kernel, which is the point
of this thread.

Cheers!
Eric