Re: /etc/rc?.d/*

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>Previously Russell Coker wrote:
>> What I want to do is have a script start before the rest and stop after them.
>> What's the recommended way of doing so?
>
>Use a name like /etc/init.d/0myscript

I think that in my attempt to be too generic I didn't explain it clearly
enough.

I have a Squid server which appears to do DNS lookups as part of it's
shutdown, and it shuts down faster if DNS is still running.  The
/etc/resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1 (all my servers run caching DNS servers).

Squid simply won't start without bind running.

I want to start bind before Squid (obviously), and I want to stop Squid first
to avoid a 1 minute delay when rebooting.

In the current way things work bind has S19bind and K19bind files while Squid
has S20squid and K20squid files.
Bind starts and stops before Squid.

What is the recommended way of fixing this?  update-rc.d doesn't seem able to
do what I want.  I've mv'd a bunch of sym-links on the machine that matters
most, but I expect that next time I upgrade bind they'll re-appear under the
old names.

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with