Re: /etc/rc?.d/*

In article <cistron.0001110213160P.16828@lyta>,
Russell Coker  <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
>I want to start bind before Squid (obviously), and I want to stop Squid first
>to avoid a 1 minute delay when rebooting.
>
>In the current way things work bind has S19bind and K19bind files while Squid
>has S20squid and K20squid files.
>Bind starts and stops before Squid.
>
>What is the recommended way of fixing this?  update-rc.d doesn't seem able to
>do what I want.  I've mv'd a bunch of sym-links on the machine that matters
>most, but I expect that next time I upgrade bind they'll re-appear under the
>old names.

No. What you did is the right way to do this - the symlinks are
handled like conffiles, as long as there still is one valid link
for a package in /etc/rc?.d update-rc.d will do nothing.

So next time you upgrade bind, you local modifications will not
be reset to the default. That's kind of the point of update-rc.d.

Mike.
Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)