Re: [leganii@surfree.com: Re: FWD: C-Kermit & potato]

Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu> writes:

> most other [GNU/]Linux and *BSD distributors, including FreeBSD, SuSE,
> Slackware, Mandrake, etc.  Do we have a problem?

I only read it very quick but....

Problem1: I can't see any rights to modify the code, just redistribute
it.

Problem2: If I can't distribute a program with solaris i anin't free in
Debians sense of freeness.

It doesn't even meet the Open Source definition
http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

It breaks the rule about discrimination agaist field of endeavor:
6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor.

   The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
   in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
   program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
   research. (rationale)

And probally agaist the rule about license being specific to af
product:

8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product.

   The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
   being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is
   extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the
   terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is
   redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted
   in conjunction with the original software distribution. (rationale)

--
They say that tengus never steal gold although they would be good at it.