Re: [leganii@surfree.com: Re: FWD: C-Kermit & potato]

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote:

> Problem1: I can't see any rights to modify the code, just redistribute it.

That's a fine point.  You can modify the code all you want but since I
have to support it now and forever, I need to get the changes.  Debian isn't
the only place where C-Kermit is built -- there are about 800 others.  I
can't support 800 different forked code bases.  The reason C-Kermit works
in the broad sense of "works" is that the development is centrally coordinated
and there is only one code base.

> Problem2: If I can't distribute a program with solaris i anin't free in
> Debians sense of freeness.

You're free to define free however you want.  So am I :-)  It's a big,
complicated world.

C-Kermit 7.0 is free to you and all your users.  What happens after that
is a philosophical question.  Do you care more about license purity than you
do about providing a useful tool to your users?  Of course it's your choice.

- Frank