Re: Debian/390 anyone?

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 02:59:23PM +0100, Richard Higson wrote:

> This would also help people work on Linux-SNA by providing an
> environment where tcpdump et al would be allowed, to further
> the integration with SNA, TCPIP, DB/2 and so on.
>
> 192.168.10.X would be eth0 10-base-T
> 192.168.16.X would be tr0 Token-Ring-16
> 192.168.100.X would be eth1 100-base-T (if needed)
>
> I'm all for Debian/390, and think it would be a valuable service to
> both communities.
>
> I have offered (and repeat this offer) to host, co-host or mirror
> {de.}linux-S390.org at (or virtually on) source.rfc822.org.
>
> At the moment, my PHB's are trying to sort out whether or not
> our Company P390 license would aid/interfere with this. (Bcc:)
>
> I would like feedback about this from this list.
> 1) does this list want a Debian-Port ?
> 2) does Debian want a Debian/390 Port ?

The best thing to do would be start working on it and then
show some results. Nothing in Debian prevents a S390 dist. If even one person
is interested, he can start working on it :)
> 2) thoughts about letting named people access root/maint
>    BEHIND an ssh/ssl session
You need to do that.. Again, te person doing the work would be the best judge
right now.
> 4) Is there a tn3270 or x3270 over ssh/ssl;
> 5) if so, where(); else doit();
Will check with x3270..
> 6) P390 licensing issues ???

I will check with my office m/f gurus..
> //rhi

After saying all that, I would be very interested in working on it. Since my
day job involves working with mainframes, it would be a nice to look at a
different face of the blue iron :).

Regards,
Vaidhy