Splitting debian-user (was Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO POTATO...)

Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> writes:

> "A. M. Varon" <andre@mail.lasaltech.com> writes:
>
> > Could we have a potato mailing lists?
>
> That's part of what debian-devel *is* for.  Why would we want another
> list for it?

Ben answered on _debian-devel_, but not on _debian-user_; I hope he
doesn't mind my posting in both places (this discussion has been going
on in both places).

A.M. said (I'm paraphrasing) that casual readers of debian-user may
come away thinking Debian has lots of problems, when in fact the
problems discussed are mostly in the unstable (currently "potato")
distribution.

A.M's suggestion may have merit: a new _debian-user-unstable_ list
could separate the user "bleeding edge" discussions from the stable
user discussions.

As Ben said, _debian-devel_ is already a place to discuss problems
with unstable -- but there's lots of cruft there that's uninteresting
to unstable users unless they're considering becoming developers.

But if we create _debian-user-unstable_, the _debian-user_ readers
would miss (would they care?) the discussions -- some of them
interesting -- about changes, and might therefore be less well
prepared to handle the upgrade to potato when it becomes stable.

So I obviously can't make up my mind; I think we should let the
_debian-user_ population decide: would you like to split the group?

is how the above-mentioned lists are currently described:

debian-user

     This is the main mailing list for all users and developers of
     Debian GNU/Linux systems. Many developers also follow the threads
     and step in to help every now and then.

debian-devel

     This is the main discussion list for development topics. All
     developers should be subscribed to this list. As it is open to
     the public anyone can join the discussion.