Re: How not to be a nice person (Was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality)

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:05:22 +1000
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How not to be a nice person (Was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality)
>
> On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 12:46:46PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > 	"Excuse me.  I work for TurboLinux."
> >
> > the implication here is that you know what you are talking about because
> > you work for a "real" (i.e. commercial) linux distribution.
>
> When in fact the opposite is true? :-)

Please don't add fuel to the fire.  While almost all those on -devel(including
myself) feel that Debian is the best distribution out there, it's not good to
start putting down other distributions.  I myself have a severe dislike of
Redhat, but I'd not go to the point of saying it's not a "real" distribution.
Anyone who works in the computer industry in any area knows that it is a
difficult task to create even the most basic product and support it. This is
why being a developer holds such high regard by those technically knowledgeable.

There have been a number of arguments that have shown up on this list, and this
is only the most recent.  The only way to stop these arguments from getting out
of control is to keep them off the list, and in personal e-mail if you feel you
need to insult them, or defend yourself against them.  If they can't respond
rationally, or if the argument gets out of hand, go to someone about your
problem who MIGHT be able to help settle the argument.

I hope this helps in some way, as I do not wish to see Debian get ripped apart
because of personal differences between people.  Debian has continued to grow,
and gain support through the hard work of MANY people, not just one or two, or
even a handful.  So, let's keep the good of the distribution in mind, work
through any differences we may have, and continue on.

							David Bristel