Re: How not to be a nice person (Was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality)

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:10:23 +1000
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How not to be a nice person (Was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality)
>
> On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:06:59PM -0500, The Doctor What wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:47:20PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > In short, a summary (admittedly from my point of view) follows:
> > In a discussion on whether network daemons should do one of the following:
> > a) Simply start up, grabbing any ports it needs (most do this)
> > b) Not start up (a few do this)
> > c) Ask about what ports to grab and whether to start up (some do this)
> >
> > This letter is to make it public that I think Craig has gone too far.  He
> > has hurt my feelings and has been very insulting to everyone in
> > debian-devel.  And this is not the way to get things done.
>
> Did you consider his point, though? Why would you install a service
> if you don't want it to run?
Simple answer here, if you install a group of packages during the install, you
may not realize what packages you have installed.  For those who do custom
installs as the only way, you probably have never experienced what "Scientific
Workstation" may end up installing.  If you are in a hurry, you may choose that
option, then not spend the time picking through all the packages to remove the
ones you want.  A possible solution would be a "daemon" flag to go on a package,
and after the install, the installed daemons are listed.  This is just an idea,
but that's another subject.

							David Bristel