Re: How not to be a nice person (Was: Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality)

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:06:59PM -0500, The Doctor What wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 08:47:20PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> In short, a summary (admittedly from my point of view) follows:
> In a discussion on whether network daemons should do one of the following:
> a) Simply start up, grabbing any ports it needs (most do this)
> b) Not start up (a few do this)
> c) Ask about what ports to grab and whether to start up (some do this)
>
> This letter is to make it public that I think Craig has gone too far.  He
> has hurt my feelings and has been very insulting to everyone in
> debian-devel.  And this is not the way to get things done.

Did you consider his point, though? Why would you install a service
if you don't want it to run?

> However, Craig's arguments have become increasingly hostile and insulting,
> building up to the message mentioned above.  Being mean and insulting are
> not ways to get your point across.

It seems to me that he was just frustrated because you weren't
evening reading what he had to say.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).