Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 06:09:09PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 12:03:02AM -0800, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> > > Hello, I think TeX and Emacs should no longer be standard.
> >
> > What would you say has changed since this was put in policy initially?
> >
> > Emacs is a pretty important part of the GNU system (as far as the FSF
> > goes), and TeX is a fairly useful thing to have around too. People who
> > don't want it are, of course, free to not have them.
> >
> > Personally, I'd be inclined to upgrade X11 to Standard. What's changed
> > since it was put in policy originally? Computers have become a lot faster
> > and larger, and a lot more GNU/Linux users expect to have a GUI available.
>
> How many people *really* use tex ? This 33616KB is wasting on most of
> instalations. And there are people that doesnt free this space althru
> dont use tex, because they think that if this is in standard it should
> be installed, cause we knew what we were doing when chosing priority,
> and some random pieces of software may stop working if they throw tex out.

My two cents is to take them both out of standard.  I can see installing
Emacs and TeX by default on multiuser systems, but for workstations,
no.  If someone wants them, they can install them.  I don't want them
and have to keep uninstalling them when I set up a new server.

If someone installs something that needs them, let dselect/apt pull them
in - isn't that kind of the point?

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.