Re: concensus on removing TeX and Emacs from standard

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 12:03:02AM -0800, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> Hello, I think TeX and Emacs should no longer be standard.

What would you say has changed since this was put in policy initially?

Emacs is a pretty important part of the GNU system (as far as the FSF
goes), and TeX is a fairly useful thing to have around too. People who
don't want it are, of course, free to not have them.

Personally, I'd be inclined to upgrade X11 to Standard. What's changed
since it was put in policy originally? Computers have become a lot faster
and larger, and a lot more GNU/Linux users expect to have a GUI available.

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds