Re: base system on boot floppies 2.2.3 broken

[cc'ed to debian-boot@lists.debian.org]

> 1) there were NO suid/sgid binaries, including chsh, chfn, login,
> passwd, su et al this means ONLY root may login to the virtual
> consoles, any other uids will fail.  this also means su chsh, chfn et
> al will not work.  nothing pam related will work since
> /sbin/unix_chkpwd is not suid.

This is a known bug and has been recently fixed.

> 2) any file or directory that has a symlink associated with it has
> permissions of 777 this includes much of the libc, /sbin/init
> /usr/sbin/adduser, and many many many more. also most of
> /usr/share/doc had mode 777.
> 3) most of /dev/* has wrong owners/permissions, i just rm -rf ed it
> and grabbed a properly extracted version from base2_2.tgz

Not sure about these two, can someone verify this?

> At 20:21 -0600 30/12/99, matt garman wrote:
> >Yup, what you described is exactly what happened on my system.  Gives
> >new meaning to "unstable," eh?

these mistakes are unfortunate, but i think boot floppies have come a long
way in the past few months. please bear with us and i think thing will work
out nicely by the time potato is released.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/