Re: Quake in Germany - not illegal?

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> The ban on Duke Nuken, Doom and a few other games was called because a

I just verified (URL:
http://www.mj.gov.br/acs/documentos/portaria_no_724.htm [portuguese]), and
the recently banned games in Brazil are:

Doom, Duke Nuken, Requiem, Mortal Kombat, Postal.

All versions of these games are banned, as you can bet the police won't care
about such a thing.

Quake isn't on the list for some reason, but Doom is. Other games banned in
Brazil aren't in Debian AFAIK.

The packages affected are:

lxdoom*
doom-wad-shareware

Also, it's highly probable that the following packages will be outlawed here
in the next two months:

quake*
squake
xquake

[any others I forgot ?]

Since all these packages should be readily available from nonus.debian.org
anyway, it's probably a good idea to get rid of them from the .br mirrors
right now to avoid duplicated work. With a fine of US$ 10k per day and the
threat of going to jail, we could lose these mirrors forever if any of them
get into even a hint of trouble over this issue.

The ban is a full _distribution_ ban. You're forbidden to distribute the
games, but you can keep them if you already had them before 1999-12-16 btw.
The "I'm not a lawyer" disclaimer applies, so don't go quoting me on that.

I'll be emailing all the registered .br debian archives as soon as I finish
typing this email.

> was "just like this scene in Duke Nuken 3D". Children-protection was never
> even mentioned I think.

I was wrong. It was one of the alleged reasons (no surprise there, really),
but not the single one. According to the judges, these games violate "the
spirit" of both the consumer and children protection codes.

  Henrique Holschuh