Re: Where are we with Potato

On Fri 24 Dec, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 05:37:47PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > Sorry to post a FAQ :)
> >
> > I have two friends - one who wants Debian-arm for an Acorn Archimedes
> > RISC machine and has been told to wait for Potato.
>
> I'm not completely in sync with the state of debian-arm, but I think
> it won't be ready for potato. That was the last I heard, but maybe
> someone from that project nails me down right now.. :-)

Hi, I'm relatively new to the debian-arm port (and this mailing list) but
my understanding of the situation is this:

Jim Pick is the current main debian-arm person, but he is very busy right
now and is not likely to have things ready in time for potato. However
there are a couple of us who are very keen and able to work
approximately full-time on it (we have commercial backing from Aleph
One). However neither of us are yet debian developers and it seems that
new developers are not currently being taken on as they concentrate on
getting potato out the door.

So, we will be doing what we can to fettle things up, but I think that
without some solution to the problem of non-developers trying to get
 port-specific infratructure things done it remains doubtful whether the
arm stuff can be set up in time for potato remains doubtful.

Chris rutter is the man who has done most of the running on this, so I
may be slightly out of sync on the above. I certainly don't yet fully
understand exactly what is needed to get the arm port properly
integrated, but I think the above is a reasonable executive summary.

> I think at least a comfortabe way to install Debian on an Acorn
> machine is still missing.
> But no warranty for that.. :-)

That's correct, but we are working on it at this very moment...

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679