Re: Quake is GPL

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> I suspect that the part of Quake that the German authorities have a
> problem with are the data files, not the game engine itself.

Yes; but Doom is banned too, and lxdoom and quake do include data files in
the shareware versions, right? These afaik (I am not a lawayer) are banned
too.

> OTOH, we do need a "Banned-In" control field for packages, so we can
> assist governments in their Quixotic endeavor to control the hearts
> and minds of their citizens.

I don't know, after seeing the clouds of blood and gore in Quake III, I
agree that it is really at least a "not before the age of 16" or even 18
game. NOT something I'd want my (hypotetical) kids to play for christmas.

We probably should at least put a big disclaimer on the packages. Is it
possible to get a prompt when you SELECT a package which states "this
package is banned in country xyz; by installing it you may be in violation
of local law" blah blah?

I guess this is a case for the debian legal department ;)

Or maybe create a series "banned in some places"[1] or something. I mean
afterall for example someone could create a game which includes excessive
nudity or other questionable topics that are perfectly acceptable in some
places/Societies, but banned in others.

[1] Or called it "armed and dangerous". Or "Things your government doesn't
want you to see". ;)

--
  Allow me to introduce myself, I am a man of wealth and taste.
  http://nils.jeppe.de/  -   Alternative email: nils@work.de