Re: [apt] Sets of packages that run the same command.

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 11:12:07AM -0500, James Deikun was heard to say:
> >How does this let several programs drop in scripts saying update-menus or
> >ldconfig should be run, and only have the command be run once?
>  ^^^^^^^^
>
> This should continue to be run right away, not at the end of the dpkg run.
> update-menus and the font stuff are fine (afaik) but delaying ldconfig will
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Actually, I believe that this already has logic to prevent itself from
  doing heavy calculation while dpkg is running and to only run once.
> cause things to break.

  I was wondering about this too, but would it perhaps be sufficient to run
ldconfig before configuring anything instead of afterwards?  Most packages will
be fine with this since the libraries will already be unpacked; packages that do
bizarre stuff in the postinst or alternatives with libraries (which may fall
under 'bizarre stuff'.. ;-) ) will need ldconfig run then, but they should be
easily spotted.

  Since of the three ldconfig is (a) the most common one and (b) the one that's
hardest on the system (think 30 seconds of thrash for each run..well, that's a
little exaggerated; it may only be 15, especially on a system with only a few
packages installed..) I'd really like to see it run as few times as possible.
Right now we're doing the most inefficient thing we can :)

  Daniel

--
If we do not change our direction we are likely to end up where we are headed.